The success of our organization rests entirely on the commitment that our volunteer tutors have provided. We thank you for your interest in volunteering as a tutor for MLER. Since we demand a high level of professionalism from our students, we ask that our tutors bring the same level of dedication and responsibility into their student groups. Our tutors are provided with extensive training on bar exam writing methods, student counseling, and stress management. MLER offers a social, collaborative environment in which to instruct. Below you will find a few of our Bar Exam Preparation Program policies established to guarantee that the Program is beneficial to every student and rewarding for our tutor volunteers.
We ask that our tutors keep communication lines open with MLER staff, and we encourage our tutors to be:
- Always on Time
- Good Listeners
- Friendly / Confidants
- Ardent Advisors
- Tough but Compassionate
What We Expect
MLER provides its Bar Exam Preparation Program students with a wide range of services. We expect our tutors to assist the student throughout the study process, which may include academic help or personal advice. MLER staff will be readily available to provide support to our tutors on more difficult or serious issues. Our tutors are trained to educate students on effective study and exam-taking skills. Tutors are also obligated to adhere to the following set of guidelines:
- Reiterate and reconfirm the principles of MLER’s essay writing methods.
- Be on time for all sessions.
- Encourage students to attend MLER every week and take all exams.
- Encourage students to enroll in a commercial bar review course.
- Encourage students to create and follow a study schedule, and to review the schedule with their tutors.
- Make positive comments to students.
- Contact students each week to check on their progress.
- Maintain a positive attitude regarding the student’s success on the bar exam.
- Commit to attending your assigned tutor session every week.
Program dates, location, and time
Classes for the MLER Bar Exam Preparation Program cover a six-week period, and commence in January (February bar) and July (September bar). See our Schedule for more information. All Program classes will be held online via Zoom Online Conference Website. MLER is sponsored by:
Depaul University College of Law
25 E Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL 60604.
Tutors are asked to attend every online class on Thursdays from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.
Enrollment for volunteer tutors
If you are a licensed attorney in Illinois and interested in registering as a volunteer tutor for our Bar Exam Preparation Program, click below to apply.